Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 2: Invitation to a Holy Moment

I am becoming more and more convinced that what Jesus asks us to do is more of an invitation than a command. I'm not trying to diminish the power of a command or by using the word "invitation" make it seem optional.  But in reality, it is optional. We don't have to do anything Jesus says. That's the beauty of relationship and free will. We get to do things with Him.

Here's my revelation of what an invitation means from this morning. Before I go to bed I try to ask Jesus how He wants my morning to go. Now, I have my routine and a schedule but last night I wanted to see if there was anything different He wanted me to do. I felt like He wanted me to get up earlier and go out and watch the sunset with Him. Invitation. So, I set my alarm a little earlier and headed out to go watch the sunrise. 

Now, let me pause for a moment. I think we would agree that we all have those places, people, things that, when we see them, we are reminded of something, either good or bad. I want to talk about the bad. Maybe it's that person who, every time you see them you can't seem to forget about how they hurt you. Or maybe it's an object associated with a painful memory. Or a place where something took place.  And you can't help but be reminded of the past. Well, that happened to me. Nothing extremely painful just some places that, whenever I go by them I'm reminded of part of my past that I'm not too proud of. 

Well, that's where Jesus wanted us to watch the sunset. It was beautiful. And I felt like God wanted to do much more than show me the sunset. He wanted to show how He makes everything new. Out of His kindness and goodness He wanted me to get up early in the morning so He could replace that old memory with a new one. Now every time I think about that place I'll be reminded of the time I met with Jesus there. I prayed, worshipped, and marveled at beauty. And He took me back to the past and showed me that He was there all along.

All it takes is a moment to listen. A moment to look just a little closer. A moment to take time and reflect and respond. I'm reminded of the burning bush. Moses could have completely missed it if he hadn't taken the time. How often do we miss those Holy Moments because we are so focused on other things? It's not a condemning question, it's a thoughtful question. I think that's what John meant when he said that His commands are not burdensome. They are supposed to be an invitation to a holy moment. Whenever God asks you to forgive, it's a holy moment. Whenever He asks you to give, it's a holy moment. Whenever He asks you to get up early to pray, it's a holy moment. Whenever He takes you to a painful place, it's a chance to make it a holy moment. He is the Restorer! He is the Healer! He is the Provider! 

As I continue on this journey I want to start seeing every prompting of the Spirit as an invitation, not some chore that I'm dreading to do. He doesn't command and condemn, He invites and restores. Jesus, help me see things that way. Help us see things that way. 


PS Yesterday went pretty well with being more intentional about encouraging people (see yesterday's blog for explanation). It was amazing to see how my heart started to change toward people as I was intentionally trying to look at them through the eyes of Jesus. Try it sometime. One funny story was I was going through a drive-thru and as the woman handed me the food I remembered I was supposed to encourage her someway. It was hard for me to think of anything profound so I just looked at her and said, "You have really pretty eyes by the way." She said thanks and I drove off. God and I had a little chuckle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment