Sunday, September 16, 2012

Welcome!

I'm glad you stopped by. I wanted to take a moment to explain what prompted me to create this blog.

If you read about the life of Jesus in the Gospels you will discover a man who was fully submitted to the will of the Father. A Man who loved the lost, broken, and forgotten of this world. A Man who was intentional about everything He did. A Man who had the same human limitations as you and I and yet was without sin and never disobeyed. He was a Man who carried power and authority. Demons fled at His command. The sick were healed. The dead were raised. Relationships were restored. Lives were changed.

If you continue reading in the book of Acts you will see story after story of the same kind of work being carried out through those Jesus left behind. Doesn't it make you excited when you read stories like that? Of ordinary people walking in the plans and purposes of God? Could we dare to dream that that reality is for us today?

But somewhere along the way we get stuck. I know what the Bible says. Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father" (John 14:12, NASB). I know it has to be true and yet I don't always see it being played out in my life. I want to see the dead raised, demons flee, the sick healed, and broken lives restored. Not because I want to be cool but because Jesus says it's what I'll do if I believe in Him. And I don't know about you but if Jesus says something is for me I want as much as He'll give me. 

I love Jesus. I talk to Him daily and do my best to listen to what He wants to say to me. I do my best to love people well (although I often come up short). But when I think about the life I see on a day to day basis compared with the life I know Jesus promises me I see some discrepancies. And I think I've been able to put a finger on why. 

Obedience.

Not just when I feel like it. Not just when I'm around other fiery Christians (although that helps). Not just when it's convenient. Not just when I'm bold. Not just when I have energy. Not just tomorrow or when I'm older or when I get "fixed." But whole-hearted, immediate obedience.

So how do I get over those things? I think my resolve has to be that I believe what Jesus says no matter what and that HE IS WORTH IT. 

Here's where the blog comes in...

I've been doing a lot of thinking of how I can really grow in the area of obedience and God and I decided that I should do a disobedience fast. I am fasting from not doing whatever I know God already has called me to do (like forgive, love my neighbor, share the gospel, etc.) and from what God could call me to do in the moment (go pray for that person, this is how I want you to spend your time today, etc.). Even as I type this challenge it makes me nervous. Which is exactly why I'm doing it. 

I need your accountability. There's just something about writing things down that makes it really sink into your heart. And, I want to have a testimony that says, if I can do it, anyone can do it. I'm committing to 40 days (well, hopefully a lifetime) . I hope you will join me on this journey. The goal is to post daily about what God is speaking that day and reflect on the events of the day before. And if you feel challenged by something similar, please jump in with me. I'm not doing this to make some more rules or create some new formula. I simply want to take Jesus at His word, walk with Him daily, and fall more in love with Him, His people, and His mission. 

Day 1 starts Monday, September 17. Let's go!



No comments:

Post a Comment